Saturday, August 2, 2008

The Golden Ticket

Well, for the select few of you that have not heard, I got a ticket a couple weeks ago. Yeah, I know, I am a rebel....it is me against the law. I got a ticket for not changing lanes when a police officer is on the side of the road. He was in his car and no one else was around but I am still required to change lanes. It is called the "move over" law. I had no idea this law existed and most people I have talked to have not heard of it either. But, when I told the officer I was not aware this was a law, he really did not seem to have too much sympathy on me. He did not even hesitate to get his little ticket book out and write me up...

Well, of course, I was a bit flustered and upset....mainly because he really did seem to be kinda mad at the world and I happened to be the unfortunate target of his anger that certain day. But, I got over it and was ready to step up and pay for my mistake. That is until I found out it was a $380 mistake. That's right folks....380 big ones. Can you believe that?? I am still alittle dumbfounded as I type this. Do you know what I could do with $380?? Lets's just say....I could do a lot and I have thought about every single way I would rather spend that money than giving it to the police department.

But, I guess I may have to bite the bullet and pay the fine. Man, that hurts....But, at least I got a ticket for something I did not even realize was against the law. At least now I know and trust me, my daughter will NEVER let me pass a police car again without reminding me that I got a ticket & then proceeding to lecture me on how I can avoid tickets in the future. She will turn me into a law abiding citizen if it is the last thing she does!!

4 comments:

Gina said...

Can't you go to court?

Robin said...

I can - but I am pretty much guilty as charged. I can claim ignorance and see if the judge has more sympathy on me than the police officer did...

VJ said...

That is what I would do, explain the circumstances, and that you didn't know.
We have a move over law in this state (who knows, we may be in the same state) but other than occasional PSA's during high travel times, it is not a well-known law, either.

Gina said...

I would sooooo go to court, because if nothing else, they will more than likely lower the fine. I am so justice oriented, it's driving me crazy that the fine is so high for such a random infraction. Sorry, sometimes I get a little too passionate.....