Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Please, someone, just give me a break!

Ever feel like you just can't get a break. You just need someone to cut you some slack and realize that everyone makes mistakes and you can't really do any better until you know better?? That is how I feel today....kinda used & abused...this time I just don't think sorry is going to be enough.

You see, my whole ticket situation is only getting worse. I had been told by a friend who is a police officer that the fine was $380.....but today I thought I would just call the county clerk and ask her about it....turns out the he was wrong. I asked her how much I owed and her response seriously left me speechless....drum roll, please - $703....can you believe that?? Did you fall out of your chair like I almost did?

I proceeded to tell her that I had done a lot of research and that the max fine in GA for this law was $500. She said that the judge had the right to add on additional fees to any ticket. I said, "What do you mean, additional fees??" Her response was almost humorous - "You know, like for jailhouse construction or something..." So, what, am I paying for the whole cafeteria or something. My stomach is still in knots and I can't decide if I am mad, embarrassed, confused or what....I know it is just money (trust me, I have told myself that over and over today) but it is more the whole situation and how I just can't even grasp onto it and what it means or what God is trying to teach me from it. Do I seek out what I feel is justice in the situation or do I just accept that it is what it is and pay the fine?? I mean, I am guilty of breaking this particular law...but, I did not even know it existed and I had no ill intent or any disregard for the law. It was an honest mistake and boy, am I paying for it. I promise, I have learned my lesson and I even feel myself get anxious when I see a cop car on the side of the road. Never again will I make this mistake....but can't they just take my word and not my savings account!!!!!!!!!

4 comments:

Amy said...

Ouch!!

Anonymous said...

Wow.

Gina said...

GO TO COURT!!!!! I have a cousin, his name is Vinny, he might be able to help you.

Robin said...

Give me Vinny's number....