Tuesday, February 5, 2008

What really is best??

Do you ever struggle with what is the "right" thing to do for your kids?? Lately, I have really been struggling with my kids and how much of "the world" I really want to expose them to. My son is in 2nd grade at a local public school. So far, everything has gone rather smoothly and he has not come home cursing like a litte sailor yet :) :) But almost on a daily basis, I wonder if I am doing the right thing by sending him to public school. It is not really these early grades that I stress about, but it is the next few years to come that have me stressing out.

I wonder if I should step out on faith and try the whole "homeschooling" deal...I am a stay at home mom with a college education and I know I could teach him what he needs to know at this age while adding in Christian values and morals. I know it is the early years that are crucial in helping him form his core values and develop who he will become in future years.

But then I wonder if that is placing him in a "bubble" that excludes him from the outside world. I want him to grow up with the ability to make the right choice in a rough world...I don't want him to finish school and then just throw him to the wolves when it come to college and the workplace. And, of course, I want him to be an example/a witness to other kids at school. He would not really have that opportunity if I kept him at home each day.

As you can tell, I have really been thinking (and praying) about this a lot lately. Not to mention the fact that I have 3 more kids that I will have to make this decision for in the years to come. Maybe I will never really know what the "right" decision is...I think it is different for each family. But I can hope to find peace and reach the decision that is best for my kids and our family.

5 comments:

Gina said...

I think you are right when you say you will have peace about what is right for YOUR family. Yes, every family is different , but take it the next step and consider how different each family MEMBER is. Each of your children will have specific needs, strengths and weaknesses. You may feel the need to homeschool one and not the other. Private school for one while another rises to the challenge of public school. You went to public and look how great you turned out. Sorry I come across as a know-it-all that hasn't even crossed this bridge yet. But, Mike and I have talked and considered this quite a bit and that is our plan. To take one child at a time with the intent of public school initially. We don't want to shelter our kids, and we will try to give them the spiritual foundation they need at home. At the same time, if one or more of them are too interested in the world then bring on the BUBBLE!

Robin said...

Thanks for your input!! It is what I need - I love hearing what other young families are doing with the whole school issue. You had some really "insightful" things to say...wow, Gina is stepping it up:)

Anonymous said...

Girl, I didn't know you had a blog! That is too cool. I will have to bookmark it.

Gina said...

What do you mean "stepping it up"? It must be all those AMAZING Liberty Psychology classes we had. Especially Developmental Psych. Yeah right.

VJ said...

The biggest concern may potential parents have about homeschooling is the social aspect. My parents were very concerned about that until they spent a week with us. They were exhausted! Homeschooling is not a social bubble - not if you find ways to get your kids out. There are many homeschool co-ops where group of homeschooling kids get together on a regular basis. There are church youth clubs, community bands and choirs, and the like.

In our area community center activities cater to homeschoolers. There are middle of the day swim lessons in one community; in another you can go ice-skating for $1.50 for an hour and a half. The nearby Christian college offers a free group music class taught be education students.

And, you know what? All of these activities involve kids and adults of all ages. In public school your kids will social with other kids their age. As a homeschooler, your kids will learn how to be comfortable with younger kids, older kids, adults and the elderly. It will take a little planning and foresight, but in the end you will have well-rounded, polite social kids.

Like I stated in another comment, ask me any question you want and I'll do my best to answer.