Thursday, February 21, 2008

The Little Tornado

Well, my parents are in town for a visit and they got to see what it is really like to go out to lunch with 4 kiddos. We all went to Sonnys to grab a bite to eat and while we were getting seated, I saw a couple guys from church and I told them to be sure and sit far, far away. I was really just joking but it turned out to be a self-fulfilling prophecy today.

I made the mistake of taking Kassidy out of her seat and holding her while everyone finished up. I tend to forget how far and how fast they can reach and grab just about anything within a few feet of them. Her first successful grab was for a handful of coleslaw from my dad's plate. She put it in her mouth and cringed at how nasty she thought it tasted. Then I guess she thought she needed a drink to help wash away the bad taste, so she grabbed my tea glass and dumped the whole thing out....(I am still pulling ice cubes out of my diaper bag!) Well, when I turned my back to try to clean up some of the mess, she grabbed any empty salad plate and proceeded to throw it on the floor. Her last successful grab was for her empty car seat (which was sitting on the table - dumb move, I know) and it flipped over off the table, but my dad was fast enough to catch it before it hit the floor. But half of the restaurant had a heart attack because they thought a baby was in the seat and had flipped off the table. The people beside us looked at me and said, "Man, she is a little tornado, isn't she??" That's when you just smile politely and see how fast you can pack up your bag and get the heck up out of that place :) :) :)

Well, in the middle of all this, I had turned around to look at the guys from church and they were both just grinning and waving and looking very thankful that they had chosen to sit far, far away!!

4 comments:

VJ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
VJ said...

And it is for that reason my husband tried to impose a no eating-out rule while children are young. He can't stand the thought of being embarrassed like that. Notice I said "tried." I wouldn't go for that and have worked hard to teach the kids manners at a very young age.

Don't worry, not every meal out will be like that.

peggy said...

at least you know she has that milestone of the pincer grasp down pat!... thankfully you were not there alone and your parents were able to help out! (btw, this is peggy-- i got to your blog from a link on Micki's site)

Anonymous said...

Heh...I love that baby! She is one cutie-patootie.