Saturday, January 12, 2008

Shedding the pounds

I once had a boss who was a fitness fanatic and he said something that has stuck with me forever. In reference to gaining weight, he said "You know, most people are happy if they only gain 3 or 4 pounds in a year, but what I always say is - Just think what you are going to look like in 10 years when you are forty pounds heavier."

And on that note, Matt and I have been trying so hard to get healthy this year...we actually started back before Christmas. And we survived the holidays without really gaining any weight (major accomplishment for us!). But what is totally baffling to me is how fast men can their lose excess weight. Matt has lost a total of @ 20 lbs so far and I have lost an amazing 6 lbs. We have basically the same routine (exercise 4 or 5 times a week, eating healthy-add more fruits and veggies...) but he just seems to shed the pounds so much faster. I have even given up soda and only drink diet if I get the urge....and that is a sacrifice that I swore I would never make!! My goal for myself was to be back to my pre-pregnancy weight by Kassidy's one year birthday (June 11th) - I only have four more pounds to go....Now, I will be bound and determined to make that goal because I have let everyone know what my goal is!! I guess it is time to go grab a bottle of water and a rice cake - Yummy.............

4 comments:

Andrea said...

I assume that's Dr. Horton...I remember that class. Good luck to you and Matt. I'll eat some desserts for you :-)...Have a good Sunday, Andrea

Gina said...

How do you find the time to exercise 4-5 times a week? I think I average 4-5 times a year. I told Mike after this one I will get back to pre-pregnancy weight even if we plan to go down your "crazy" road of having 4 kids.

Billy Price said...

You go girl. I think guys do lose weight faster but they also gain it back just as fast. Just an observation. I am proud you are trying.

Elizabeth said...

We did a biggest loser comptition through the base gym over the hoildays. Jason lost 27 lbs and I lost 10lbs. In our situation he has more to lose than I do so it seems to come off faster. Although Jason is sweater and I am not. We could weigh in before a run and after. He will have dropped three lbs and I have dropped none. So who knows. Congrats on the weight loss, you can get those last few pounds.