Thursday, January 24, 2008

Love ya Micah


Sometimes it is so hard to know when you are being "too soft" with your kids or when you are being "too tough" on them. Micah has asthma and this past weekend, he started his usual asthma symptoms (couging, tired, sensitive)....so we started his inhalers and tried to get things under control. We sent him to his b-ball game Saturday and he seemed tired and just not his usual competitive self. He even came running off the court and said he could not breath and did not feel good. Well, the next day, he said he did not want to go to church, but we made him go. His teacher sent him to me and said he was not feeling well. We did keep him home from Awana that night but we stuck him in his room and let him cough his little head off while we hosted small groups.


Anyway, we finally called the doctor and got a chest x-ray (4 days later) and we find out he had a lung infection and needed antibiotics and steriods. Matt and I felt terrible. We had been pushing him and telling him he was being dramatic and overly sensitive. I had even sent him to school and got the results of the chest x-ray just before I went to pick him up. Needless to say, I took him straight to the mall and bought him a "webkin toy" and took him to get a big slice of pizza. Maybe it was wrong to go buy him stuff but it sure made me feel better...I learned a valuable "mom" lesson - I need to listen to my kids...I would much rather err on the side of being too soft & sensitive than feel like the worst mom ever for letting my kid walk around sick and upset.


Sorry, Micah....hope you are feeling so much better. :) :) :)

2 comments:

Stevo said...

Poor Micah. He doesn't get a break does he. I like your blog. I guess you are pretty new to it to. I think it is pretty fun. I will be checking yours to find a blog on your favorite brother-in-law soon.

VJ said...

I think we've all made mistakes like that. I tend to be the "you're not sick unless your throwing up," type of mom. Then I feel really bad when it turns out they are sick - and not the throwing up kind.

I hope Micah feels better soon.