Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Too many hard choices

Today, I got a little bit stressed out...I was at my husband's office and somehow we got on the topic of vaccines. Weird topic to somehow end up on...but we did. There were some other people around and the topic got a little bit heated. (Ok, my husband would say it was not heated, but when I get that nervous/anxious feeling, I say it is heated.) We were talking about my son and his asthma/allergies and whether or not getting him vaccinated has any role in his condition. Of course, some people there were saying that vaccines were just a way for doctors to make money and they are the reason so many kids are sick and have so many problems... And then there were those that said it was crazy to even consider not vaccinating and risking your child getting a fatal disease or just becoming very ill. And of course we got to the topics of organic food and nutritionists vs. doctors...

Anyway, it just stresses me out because it seems like there are so many different choices and paths that you can take as a parent these days and how in the world am I supposed to know if I am making the best choice for my children?? My husband told me to "chill out" and have confidence in the decisions I have made and am still making each and every day. I guess anytime anyone seems to be questioning your choices as a parent, you tend to begin questioning yourself...but after talking it out some and thinking it through, I came to the conclusion that I have always - without a doubt- had my children's best interest at heart and I know I always did the best with the information I had at the time the choice needed to be made. So, I am now a happy mom who is at peace with herself (at least for the next hour or so).

3 comments:

Robbie said...

Just read your blog and I understand your concern. It is unfortunate that most of the anti-vaccination rhetoric is mainly fueled by ignorance & fear. Vaccinations are safe and have been proven safe for our children.

The argument that doctors use them as a money maker is bogus, particulary if you see the pennies that doctors offices make from vaccines. It is ironic that the people that tell you not to get your kids vacinated are usually strongly involved in herbal medicines which DO make money for the distributors. Herbal supplements are not controlled by the FDA and therefore are held to much lower standard and do not have to prove two major requirements safety & efficacy. Both of which vaccines have been proven to show.

We are fortunate that we do not have the memory of seeing children suffering (even dying) of diptheria, measles or mumps. But before vaccines this was very big deal. Now with more immigrants and migrant workers coming into America, not have your children vaccinate places them at a higher risk, whether people want to admit it.

Until there are multi-center randomized placebo controlled double-blinded studies that do show vaccines cause harm (the gold standard of medical studies by the way), you do your children a terrific injustice by not having them vaccinated.

The number of people that are opting out of vaccines is generally very small so you are in the definite majority of American parents.

By the way there has been no established link between vaccines and asthma.

I hope this soothes your mothers guilt a little.

Robbie
robbie.price@centrahealth.com

Robin said...

Thanks for your great input...I figured most people would avoid this topic :) :) :)
Matt was loving everything you said...he definitely agrees 100%!!

Anonymous said...

Obviously, I'm a bit behind reading your blog...thus, what is this my fourth comment today? lol!...

Oh, have we all not battled with Mother's guilt for one thing or another...Your summation is nearly my exact thought process, along with reminding myself that God knows my heart and my desire to be an adovcate for the boys, doing the best I can....

as far as vaccines go, I think "robbie" did an excellent job responding, so I'll not dare try to add anything on that matter!